In England, veterinarians removed six golf balls that had been lodged in a German Shepherd dog’s stomach for several months!

Murphy, a 7-year-old German Shepherd,had emergency surgery in July 2015 at the Westway Veterinary Group in Newcastle to save his life after x-rays revealed unidentified objects inside him.

David Larson, the dog’s owner, was shocked when he found out that Murphy had golf balls in his stomach. Larson said he had not walked Murphy near a golf course in the 18 months since he got him from a home.



“I couldn’t believe it when I heard he had swallowed six golf balls. I’ve only had him for 18 months and he has never come into contact with golf balls during that time, so they must have been lodged inside him for a long time,” he said.

The problem was revealed when Murphy became sick after eating a bone.

“It only became apparent when he swallowed a bone, which made him poorly as he had diarrhea and was being sick, Larson said.

Now, the German Shepherd is recovering and starting to be the playful dog Larson and his family know once again.

“Having the golf balls inside him must have affected him because I’ve noticed since the operation he is much brighter and much more playful,” Larson said. “He has made an excellent recovery since the operation – and I’m going to make sure he is never given bones or allowed anywhere near a golf course in future.”